PCOS (PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome) is becoming a common health issue among young women. It affects 1 in every 10 women. It is a condition where number of fluid like sac called cyst is formed in the ovaries which can results in bulky ovaries and can affects its functionality. Due to the presence of sac like structure in the ovaries, an abnormal level of hormones can be seen in females suffering from PCOS. The exact cause behind PCOS is unknown. Some scientist believes that PCOS can be genetic. Also, weight gain and PCOS are related to each other but there is no evidence of what leads to another.
- Irregular menses or amenorrhea
- Skin problems
- Sudden weight gain
- Excessive hair growth on face. Due to increase in the level of male hormones
PCOS can also trigger other health issue such as:
- High cholesterol
- Ovarian cancer
- Endometrium cancer
- Heart attack
- Extreme mood swings
There is no cure for PCOS but, change in lifestyle and maintaining a proper diet can control the symptoms.
Your doctor might put you on:
- Oral contraceptives
But, medicines alone cannot make your PCOS better. Diet and exercise is very important for PCOS women because there is a high level of insulin found in them. The insulin level increases in your body after you eat something and it’s at the peak when you eat carbohydrates. So, knowing that what’s right for you and what’s not to be eaten can really make you feel better. Even if you choose right food, a right portion is also essential. With PCOS, it becomes more difficult to loose weight. So, the best way to get rid of the symptoms is to eat healthy and exercise regularly. Not everyone has same body so, the diet which works for you might not work for someone else therefore, a proper consultation with your dietitian is must.
Why diet is so important?
- Although, there is no actual cure for PCOS but, diet can make PCOS symptoms shrink. PCOS can cause your insulin to work inefficiently.
- If your over-weight and have PCOS then weight loss can be a big deal for you. So, regular exercise and proper nutrition is the key to lose weight.
- Mood swings can be annoying but there are some food that can make you feel better.
- Infertility is a major concern in PCOS women. But, researchers have found some efficient diet plan that can work wonders for PCOS women.